Call for Papers
CfP: Emblem Sessions at Kalamazoo 2016
The International Congress on Medieval Studies at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo is an annual gathering of over 3,000 scholars interested in Medieval Studies. It features over 600 sessions of papers, panel discussions, roundtables, workshops, and performances. There are also some 90 business meetings and receptions sponsored by learned societies, associations, and institutions and a book exhibit by nearly 70 publishers and used book dealers. More information and a full conference program is available on the congress website.
Sponsored sessions on emblem studies and related fields are organized by Sabine Mödersheim (University of Wisconsin-Madison). Proposals for papers are invited from all disciplines on topics ranging from emblem theory to modern adaptions and digitization. Suggested themes include:
- Emblem books and manuscripts.
- Medieval sources for emblems and imprese.
- Emblems and heraldry, court culture, and royal entries.
- Emblem and the arts and in architecture.
- Symbol theories and emblematic ideas in art and writing.
- Emblems and national traditions.
- Emblems in religious practice and theology.
- Emblems in political discourses and iconography.
- Emblems in the material and visual culture.
- Emblems and the history of the book.
We welcome new approaches to emblem studies, including gender perspectives, global reception and production of emblems, contribution on the practice and theory of emblem digitization. Graduate students in the advanced stages of their dissertation are encouraged to participate and to apply.
Abstracts, along with an abstract cover sheet (available on the Kalamazoo website at http://www.wmich.edu/medieval/congress) are due by September 1.
Inquiries about the panels and submissions should be addressed to Sabine Mödersheim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 51st International Congress on Medieval Studies takes place May 12-15, 2016.
The 52nd International Congress on Medieval Studies takes place May 11-14, 2017.
Emblem Sessions at Kalamazoo
(call for papers for download)
Leave a Reply